Saturday, October 10, 2009

A little part.....

Last night Jane and I got to join a few others from our ward in cleaning the Jordan River Temple. They gave us white scrubs to wear and had the two of us go vacuum the chapel and the sealing rooms.

We started in the chapel. I did the stand first and then we worked our way back through the benches meeting in the middle of each. It was fun to work together on this. As I went I started to think about what would be taking place in this room the next day. I thought of all the people that would come into the chapel, sit and listen to the music and maybe read the scriptures. They would sit with friends and family as they prepared to go on a session.

In the sealing room hall way, I first took care of the office where I could envision the workers tracking the work that is being done. Then I did the waiting room and I thought of those who would be there. Next, I started on the sealing rooms. They had us start at the back of each room and work our way to the door so as not to leave foot prints in the room. I started behind the small desk and worked my way around the alter and through the chairs. I thought of the times I have been in room such as these and how special those times were.

I am grateful that we had the chance to play a small part in the great things that will take place in the temple today. If we did our jobs well, no one will think about what we did. They will have no distractions to take their minds off the great things they are participating in. For some, it will be the most important day of their lives, as they make covenants with those they love and with the Lord. For others it will remind them of when they were the ones making those covenants. The day I was able to kneel at an alter with Jane was certainly on my mind as I was doing my little part.

1 comment:

Mandy sue said...

That was beautiful. Thanks for sharing such a great experience, it brightened my day!