Friday, July 4, 2008

Freedom isn't Free

I have not fallen off the face of the earth, I have not been posting due to the fact that my wife and I have been gone on a trip to Hawaii. For the next few days I will be taking you through our trip. (You can see our pictures on the picture link)

I wanted to start today on the 4th of July by talking about our visit to Pearl Harbor. We got to the Battleship Arizona Memorial and found a long line for tickets to get on a tour to visit the memorial. As the line moved forward we realized that it was going to be a long wait, but when we got to the ticket counter they had two tickets left for the next tour. We only had to wait about 15 minutes. The tour starts with a movie outlining the events of December 7th 1941. We then took the ferry out the the memorial. It was a solem reminder of the price that has been paid to maintain our freedom. It is truly a hallowed place.

We then took the tour of the Bowfin submarine and the Battleship Missouri. It is a great way to start on the Arizona Memorial where it all began and end on the the Missouri where it offically came to a close. This was a trip that I will always remember.

As I reflect back on how America came together to defend our freedom I am grateful for their commitment and willingness to pay the price. I wonder how America of today would respond in a situation like this. I have often heard the WWII generation called the greatest generation and that may indeed be true. I hope that we all will take time today to remember that our freedom had been bought at a great price and that we must do our part to maintain it.

No comments: