Monday, July 7, 2008

North Again..

We returned to the north side of the island for more activities. We stopped at the Waimea Valley to see the flora and the falls. We were surprised to learn that due to lack of rain, the falls were dry. We did make the hike up to the falls and enjoyed the view and the exotic plants. It is a beautiful place. We then took advantage of our free return ticket to the PCC. We visited some of the shows that we had not made it to the first time and also watched the IMAX movie that they have running there. This was my first IMAX experience and I loved it. The PCC is a great destination. While on the north shore I had twice driven past some stands selling shrimp, so I decided to give one a try. My wife was less than excited. She said that I should at least stop at one that was busy. We stopped at an old delivery van converted into a shrimp stand. They have three choices on the menu. Shrimp scampi, spicy shrimp or lemon butter shrimp. They are are are $12 a plate. I selected the scampi. Next to the "stand" were an odd assortment of picnic tables. The smell of the place was too much for Jane, she just sat in the car. I took my plate of shrimp and sat down at one of the tables and dug in. The shrimp was great, but is was immersed in garlic. (Next time I stop I will get the lemon butter.) When I returned to the car she said that I had to get some gum or something. So we stopped at a gas station where I bought a pack of orbit gum.

I had forgotten all about the gum when we arrived at the airport. I went through the metal detector and it went off three times. They they pulled me out of line for the "full body" scan. I had to stand with my legs apart, arms out with palms to the celling. They then proceed to wand me and pat me down. The pocket in my cargo shorts set the wand off. I then hear "sir, what do you have in this pocket?". I said I don't know and reached in and pulled out the pack of gum. They told me that the foil in the packet is a great way to set things off. All this time Jane is having her bag re-xrayed and trying gather all the little containers from my pocket contents. Some how we got all our stuff back and were on our way. Oh well, traveling is always exciting.

1 comment:

Manda Jane Clawson said...

Ha ha :) The gum and shrimp story is my favorite!