Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I can't help it, it's so beautiful

They say that necessity is the mother of invention and I am sure that is true. This mother has given us many helpful things, the washing machine, the dishwasher and unnumbered others. But once in a while the father of invention gives us something just because it is cool. With fathers day coming up I wanted to honor a true father of invention. His name is Philo T. Farnsworth the father of the television. His innovation has brought me many wonderful hours through the years.

As many of those who know me can attest, the TV has been a big part of my life. The real problem for me growing up was that my father did not share my excitement. We went years at a time with out one in our home. My parents tell the story of having to buy a TV since they were tired of my visiting the neighbors just to watch. I will never forget the day when I was a teenager and dad decided to buy a new one. We went to the store and there on a beautiful color set was the Incredible Hulk all in green. My brother and I were amazed, we had never seen this show in color. I didn't even know that Gilligan's Island went to color starting in season two until I bought it on DVD. Of course the color TVs were still just too expensive and we brought home another black and white model.

There is no question that the television was not a necessity, there were radios in every home and information was available to everyone. But having said that, my life is richer and certainly "cooler" because of this father of invention.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Ha ha ha, father of invention, I love it!

John Boyd said...

Jane says, yes, sad but true, those of us who know you can attest to the MANY hours you spend in front of your precious. Remote in hand, ready to conquer the world of tv watching:)