Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I Love it..Not sure why..

I often find myself in front of the television watching a show called the Deadliest Catch. I am sure that at times Jane thinks that I have subscribed to the all crab fishing channel. She often says that she can't understand why I watch it. She says that it is always the same thing and in many ways she's right. It is often very much the same.

I have been trying to figure out what it is that draws me to this show. I have come up with a few ideas. These guys are out doing extreme things because that is who they are, not just what they do. They are not athletes or rock stars nor are they making millions of dollars. They are modern day cowboys and vikings all rolled up into one. They are in the end of the earth challenging the sea. I think most guys at one time or another, have dreamed of doing something that is really out there, so watching people that live that life is a draw for us. Of course being away from home for up to 8 months a year for what they make doesn't make any real sense to me.

I think back to a conversation my son and I had years ago. We were talking about the choices that make up our lives. I told him that having the freedom to be home with the family every night was worth a lot more than money. I may enjoy watching others live an extreme life, but I'm more than happy to live my normal boring life.

1 comment:

John Boyd said...

Jane, a.k.a editor in chief, says what do you mean it's often the same? It's the same flippin thing over and over!