Tuesday, May 20, 2008

IW (Instant World)

It is amazing to watch kids and technology. Text messaging, instant messaging, online gaming etc. I really felt a world apart when I watched Jordan participating in seven conversations at once. He was a part of three online forums, had two IM sessions going and was texting a couple of other people all at the same time. It was amazing to watch him flow between them without even a second thought. When I first started texting I found it very frustrating. Amanda would send me a long message and I would fumble through creating a response. I would then send it on, with pride in my accomplishment. A second or two later she would be sending me an even longer message. It this point I would start to feel a little frustrated. I am getting better as time goes on. We now use texting as a major means of communication in our family.

I have also found it interesting to see how little time Jordan spends watching tv. For him a tv is simply another screen where you can surf the internet, play a game or even instant message. Reading news online rather than watching it. Watching videos on Youtube rather than watching a show. Doing instant research on any subject where you may have a question. The expectation of instant feedback continues to grow.

While the ability to adapt to new ever changing technology is a good thing, I worry that many young people seldom have the chance to learn patience. I hope that as parents we have given our kids the chance to wait for things. To have to work and earn something that is important. I worry that as the world continues to expect instant information and resolution to problems, that patience will become a lost skill. I hope not.

No comments: