Sunday, May 25, 2008

A year older

Today is my birthday. It's not one of the "BIG" years and I want to remind everyone that I am still closer to mid-forty than to fifty. I have been using the occasion to party all I can. Friday we went to see the new Indy movie and to dinner. Seeing Indy being affected by the years made me feel better. I am now able to understand what my Grandma Crosby meant when she said that you don't feel any different, you just look in the mirror and wonder who that old person is. It does seem odd that little John Boyd is a middle aged guy who has been married almost 25 years, with a daughter that is married and a son about to complete high school. I often wonder how it happened. As a shy boy I could never imagine how I would ever get to this point. I am so grateful for the wonderful people in my life. I enjoy every day with my family.

My birthday present is concert tickets to see the Police. I saw them in concert last time they were here. I took my sister Bonnie for her birthday (I think it was her 15th). Now she is about to have her oldest son married. That may make us seem old, but Sting is still older. I must have done something right when my son wants go to the concert almost as much as I do.

If I had the chance to go back to any point and restart, I think I would pass. I am happy with where I am. I may have even learned a thing or two over the years. I didn't even feel like an adult till I hit forty (I still have no plan to act like one). I have no idea how I will feel about hitting fifty, but that is "years" away. I will enjoy today.

No comments: