Friday, May 23, 2008

Life is a Highway

In the normal course of my work I travel around visiting offices. It is not unusual for me to spend two to four hours a day in my truck driving. When I run into a meeting I will often get sympathy from others in the office. They are glad that they don't have to be running around. I will play into this sympathy when ever possible. I am happy to have them think that they have things so much better than I do. I don't share my secret. I feel sorry for them, being stuck at a desk looking out the same window all day. I get to drive around, see the beauty of the mountains, the progress on construction projects and have time to listen to the radio. I am grateful for the beautiful place where I live and love the journey that each day brings.

Life is indeed a journey and if we are going to be happy we need to enjoy it. Anytime we look outside of ourselves for happiness we will be disappointed. I have often heard people say things like "when I do this, that will make me happy" or "when I get that, then I will be happy". We all have the power to choose to be happy right here, right now. Life is a highway so enjoy the ride.