Saturday, May 10, 2008

My Mom

Today I want to write about my mom Dorothy Crosby Bracken. As I think about my mom, my first thought is that she was always there. There is a feeling of comfort and safety knowing that your mom would be there when ever you needed anything. I remember one day on the fourth grade that I had wished for a little "less mom being there". For several days she had told me to make my bed and I had paid no attention. Finally she said that if I went to school without having made my bed, she would come to school to get me so I could do it. I thought this was an idle threat, so I went off to school. I will never forget that sinking feeling of seeing mom at the door of the classroom. She simply said that she needed me to come home for a few minutes. She didn't embarrass me by saying why (for which I was very grateful). The lesson was learned and I knew that when she said something I needed to pay attention.

Mom understood me. This helped me get over one of my biggest challenges. As a young boy I had an overwhelming feeling of self-consciousness that was almost crippling at times. Knowing that I looked at things in a logical manner (at times), she patiently explained to me that other people had too many other things to worry about to be watching me all the time. This made sense to me and made a huge difference in the way I faced the world. She gave me the most important things that any child can have. She taught me how to take care of myself, to iron, do laundry etc. She taught me the importance of family, the importance of faith and the importance of service. These were taught by example.

I will be forever grateful for the childhood that I had. When I left home to go on my mission, I had the basic skills, confidence and faith that I needed. I then started to appreciate all that mom had taught and given me.

Mom, I hope that you know the great influence you have had on my life. In many ways I am who I am because of you.

No comments: