Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mother's Day is Coming

As I think of Mother's Day this Sunday I think of the mothers that have had such a big impact in my life. I will be writing for the next few days about them.

I want to start with my Grandma Isabell Bracken. She died when I was only 9 years old, so my memories are few. My most vivid memory is of her teeth in a glass on the kitchen sink. To a small boy this was pretty amazing. I remember Sunday evenings watching Gun Smoke, Wonderful World of Disney and Lawrence Welk. If I recall correctly, we watched the first Superbowl there when the Colts won. The other thing that was amazing to me was the aluminum Christmas tree with the color wheel. It was so cool, in fact I would love to have one now. I clearly remember her funeral. I saw my father cry for the first time in my life. At the funeral home the smell of flowers was very strong. This smell still reminds me of that day. This was the first time I remember the whole funeral process, the viewing, the funeral and then going to the cemetery.

Most of the things that come to mind when I think of her are the stories my dad had told me. The one theme that I get from these stories is that you would be better off in a cage with a lion, than between Isabell Bracken and her family. I am proud to have this example to follow.

1 comment:

Manda Jane Clawson said...

I love reading all the stuff you type about your grandparents. I only remember them a little so it is nice to get to learn a bit more about them :)