Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

Today I am remembering what Memorial Day was like when I was a boy. We would take glass jars that had been saved for a few months and cover them with tin foil. They made really shiny vases. We would then go into the yard and cut iris from the flower garden. We would pack them up and head to Grandma Crosby's house to cut some snow balls from the snow ball bush. Then we were off to decorate the graves. We would go to Wasatch Memorial Lawn where my Grandma Bracken and my Great Grandma Lefevere are buried. My brother and I would always take a walk in the area just to the north of Grandma Bracken's grave to look for the head stone of the man who drove the race car. It was a reverent day, but also a happy day. We were together and we were honoring those who had gone before us.

Now days I have so many other graves to visit. So many more of my family and Jane's family that have passed on. As we visited Cemetery Hill yesterday we were able to honor Jane's father by doing what he would have done if he were here. We placed flowers on the family graves that he so lovingly cared for. We also passed by the graves of Mike's parents to remember them and be sure that things were ok. I will visit Valley View Cemetery today to remember so many that are buried there. I get a feeling of love and gratitude when I remember these great people that have been a part of my life. I hope to live in a way that will bring honor to their memories.

No comments: